Saturday, January 9, 2010

Abby's Bug Etching


Yesterday's art project for school using complementary colors: Put down a heavy layer of orange crayon, cover this with a heavy layer of dark blue oil pastel, and then draw a bug from a photo using a toothpick or stylus to scratch his image, revealing the orange underneath.
Her first words were: "I don't think I can do it. I can't draw from a photo, Mommy." Don't we homeschool moms all hear these words at times when our children face a daunting task? They need our encouraging words that will lead them to believe and try. While I could feel frustration rising within me, I instead chose to deliver encouraging words with a loving tone. And Abby chose to believe and try. With that, and directions from "The Phonics of Drawing" art program, I think she did a pretty good job, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! I love those scratch art projects!

    ReplyDelete